Updated December 2014
- Sumner County is served by KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Center (AHEC), which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- 9 students from Sumner County are currently studying at KU Medical Center.
- 4 Sumner County physicians serve as volunteer KU Medical Center faculty, providing medical students with hands-on training in rural and underserved communities as part of the Rural Preceptorship Program.
- Medical students spent six weeks working with primary care physicians and conducting a community-based research project in 26 counties, including Sumner County, as part of KU Medical Center's summer Rural Primary Care Practice and Research Program, one of several programs designed to encourage students to consider practicing medicine in a rural Kansas community.
- 11 high school students in Sumner County participated in activities during the 2013-14 school year that encouraged them to consider careers in health care, math and science. These events were hosted by the KU Area Health Education Center.
- Sumner County is part of the Southcentral Medical Education Network with Greg Thomas, MD, and Marla Ullom-Minnich, MD, a resident of McPherson and Moundridge, respectively, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 21 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Sumner County.
- 3 Sumner County physicians received funding through the Kansas Bridging Plan, a loan-forgiveness program offered since 1991 to primary care medical residents who agree to practice in rural Kansas.
- 1 enrollment in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences by a Sumner County health care professional in FY14.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Jun 24, 2015