Updated September 2014
Enhancing Student Education
- 8 students from Marion County are studying at KU Medical Center.
- 3 Marion County physicians serve as volunteer KU Medical Center faculty, providing medical students with hands-on training in rural and underserved communities as part of the Rural Preceptorship Program.
- Marion County is part of the Southcentral Medical Education Network with Greg Thomas, MD, and Marla Ullom-Minnich, MD, a resident of McPherson and Moundridge, respectively, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 17 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Marion County.
- 1 health care provider has been placed in Marion County since 2004 through the Kansas Recruitment and Retention Center, which provides placement assistance to rural health organizations and seeks to enhance the quality and quantity of health care professionals in rural Kansas.
- 44 shifts were covered by temporary physicians, which allowed Marion County physicians necessary time off in Fiscal Year 2014. These coverages were made via KU Medical Center's Kansas Locum Tenens and Kansas Medical Resource programs.
- 1 Marion County health care employer exhibited with 2013 Kansas Career Opportunities, which is designed to introduce medical students, residents and other health care professionals to rural communities looking to hire.
- 2 enrollments in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences by Marion County health care professionals in Fiscal Year 2014.
- Marion County is served by the East office of KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Center (AHEC) in Pittsburg, which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Oct 13, 2014