Last updated December 2014
- Barber County is served KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Center (AHEC), which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- 3 students from Barber County are currently studying at KU Medical Center.
- 1 Barber County physician serves as volunteer KU Medical Center faculty, providing medical students with hands-on training in rural and underserved communities as part of the Rural Preceptorship Program.
- Barber County is part of the Southcentral Medical Education Network with Greg Thomas, MD, and Marla Ullom-Minnich, MD,, a resident of McPherson and Moundridge, respectively, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 6 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Barber County.
- 2 enrollments in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences by Barber County health care professionals in Fiscal Year 2014.
- 1 Barber County health care employer exhibited with 2014 Kansas Career Opportunities, which is designed to introduce medical students, residents and other health care professionals to rural communities looking to hire.
Advancing Health Care Access
- Barber County residents saw KU Medical Center health care providers 24 times via telemedicine in FY14. An interactive video technology that connects providers and patients when distance separates the two, telemedicine services are provided through the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
- Barber County residents made 2 visits to KU Medical Center health care providers in outreach clinics held outside of Kansas City in FY14.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Jun 24, 2015