Updated December 2015
- Trego County is served by KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Centers (AHECs), which serve the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- 3 students from Trego County are currently studying at KU Medical Center.
- Trego County is part of the Northwest Medical Education Network with Michael Machen, M.D., a resident of Quinter, serving as the medical education director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 5 KU Medical Center alumni live and/or practice in Trego County.
- 37 enrollments in KU Medical Center continuing education/professional development courses and conferences by Trego County health care professionals in Fiscal Year 2015. Continuing education programming is offered by KU Medical Center's Continuing Education and Professional Development and KU AHECs.
Researching to Improve Health
Obesity is a risk factor for breast cancer recurrence, and rural women are considered to be at a higher risk for obesity and to have less access to health care. Female patients from 60 counties, including Trego County, are taking part in a weight-loss maintenance intervention program for breast cancer survivors in rural Kansas. The program connects survivors for long-term weight management using phone-based peer group support. The study then evaluates the effectiveness of the program over time. This research is led by Christie Befort, Ph.D., and is sponsored by the National Cancer Institute.
Advancing Health Care Access
- Trego County residents saw KU Medical Center health care providers 2 times via telemedicine in FY15. An interactive video technology that connects providers and patients when distance separates the two, telemedicine services are provided through the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Feb 22, 2016