Updated December 2015
- Rawlins County is served by KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Centers (AHECs), which serve the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- 2 students from Rawlins County are currently studying at KU Medical Center.
- Rawlins County is part of the Northwest Medical Education Network with Michael Machen, M.D., a resident of Quinter, serving as the medical education director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 6 KU Medical Center alumni live and/or practice in Rawlins County.
- 2 health care providers have been placed in Rawlins County since 2004 through the Kansas Recruitment and Retention Center, which provides placement assistance to rural health organizations and seeks to enhance the quality and quantity of health care professionals in rural Kansas.
- 13 enrollments in KU Medical Center continuing education/professional development courses and conferences by Rawlins County health care professionals in Fiscal Year 2015. Continuing education programming is offered by KU Medical Center's Continuing Education and Professional Development and KU AHECs.
Researching to Improve Health
- Hospitalization has been identified as a teachable moment in which patients may be more likely to quit smoking. Rawlins County Health Center is one 35 Kansas hospitals participating in Kan Quit II, a study that provides smoking cessation counseling, treatment and case management services to inpatients. The study then evaluates the effectiveness of the smoking cessation services. The project is led by Edward Ellerbeck, M.D., MPH, and is sponsored by the National Cancer Institute and the National Institutes of Health.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Jan 22, 2016