Updated September 2014
Enhancing Student Education
- 2 students from Ness County are currently studying at KU Medical Center.
- Ness County is part of the Northwest Medical Education Network with Michael Machen, MD, a resident of Quinter, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 6 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Ness County.
- 1 Ness County physician received funding through the Kansas Bridging Plan, a loan-forgiveness program offered since 1991 to primary care medical residents who agree to practice in rural Kansas.
- 1 shift was covered by a temporary physician, which allowed a Ness County physician necessary time off in Fiscal Year 2014. This coverage was made via KU Medical Center's Kansas Locum Tenens and Kansas Medical Resource programs.
- 1 Ness County health care employer exhibited with 2013 Kansas Career Opportunities, which is designed to introduce medical students, residents and other health care professionals to rural communities looking to hire.
Researching to Improve Health
- Obesity is a risk factor for breast cancer recurrence, and rural women are considered to be at a higher risk for obesity and to have less access to health care. Female patients from 60 counties, including Ness County, are taking part in a weight-loss maintenance intervention program for breast cancer survivors in rural Kansas. The program connects survivors for long-term weight management using phone-based peer group support. The study then evaluates the effectiveness of the program over time. This research is led by Christie Befort, PhD and is sponsored by the National Cancer Institute.
Advancing Health Care Access
- Ness County residents made 3 visits to KU Medical Center health care providers in outreach clinics held outside of Kansas City in Fiscal Year 2014.
- Ness County is served by the Northwest office of KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Center (AHEC) in Hays, which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Oct 13, 2014