Updated January 2013
Logan County is served by the Northwest office of KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Centers (AHECs) in Hays, which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- 1 student from Logan County is currently studying at KU Medical Center.
- Logan County is part of the Northwest Medical Education Network with Michael Machen, MD, a resident of Quinter, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 4 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Logan County.
- 2 health care providers have been placed in Logan County since 2003 through the Kansas Recruitment and Retention Center, which provides placement assistance to rural health organizations and seeks to enhance the quality and quantity of health care professionals in rural Kansas.
- 2 Logan County physicians received funding through the Kansas Bridging Plan, a loan-forgiveness program offered since 1991 to primary care medical residents who agree to practice in rural Kansas.
- 2 shifts were covered by temporary physicians, which allowed Logan County physicians necessary time off in 2012. These coverages were made via KU Medical Center's Kansas Locum Tenens and Kansas Medical Resource programs.
- 1 Logan County health care employer exhibited with 2012 Kansas Career Opportunities, which is designed to introduce medical students, residents and other health care professionals to rural communities looking to hire.
- 16 health care professionals from Logan County participated in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences in 2012.
Advancing Health Care Access
- 2 Logan County residents made visits to KU Medical Center health care providers in outreach clinics held outside of Kansas City in 2012.
May 23, 2013