Updated January 2013
Graham County is served by the Northwest office of KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Centers (AHECs) in Hays, which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- 1 student from Graham County is currently studying at KU Medical Center.
- 2 health professions students received hands-on training in Graham County in 2012 through placement programs in rural and underserved communities, including Rural Preceptorship Program for KU medical students and fieldwork experiences for other professions.
- Graham County is part of the Northwest Medical Education Network with Michael Machen, MD, a resident of Quinter, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 3 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Graham County.
- 35 health care professionals from Graham County participated in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences in 2012.
- 1 professional education and administrative visit in Graham County occurred in 2012 via telemedicine, an interactive video technology that connects providers and patients when distance separates the two. The technology is operated by the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
Advancing Health Care Access
- 1 Graham County resident a made visit to a KU Medical Center health care provider in an outreach clinic held outside of Kansas City in 2012.
Jan 31, 2013