Updated December 2014
- Wabunsee County is served by KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Center (AHEC), which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- 1 student from Wabaunsee County is currently studying at KU Medical Center.
- 1 Wabunsee County physician serves as volunteer KU Medical Center faculty, providing medical students with hands-on training in rural and underserved communities as part of the Rural Preceptorship Program.
- Wabaunsee County is part of the Eastern Medical Education Network with Robert Haskins, MD, a resident of Pittsburg, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 9 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Wabaunsee County.
- 1 enrollment in continuing education course/conference by a Wabaunsee County health professional in Fiscal Year 2014.
Researching to Improve Health
- Obesity is a risk factor for breast cancer recurrence, and rural women are considered to be at a higher risk for obesity and to have less access to health care. Female patients from 60 counties, including Wabaunsee County, are taking part in a weight-loss maintenance intervention program for breast cancer survivors in rural Kansas. The program connects survivors for long-term weight management using phone-based peer group support. The study then evaluates the effectiveness of the program over time. This research is led by Christie Befort, PhD, and is sponsored by the National Cancer Institute.
Advancing Health Care Access
- Wabaunsee County residents saw KU Medical Center health care providers 6 times via telemedicine in FY14. An interactive video technology that connects providers and patients when distance separates the two, telemedicine services are provided through the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
- Wabaunsee County residents made 1 visit to KU Medical Center health care providers in outreach clinics held outside of Kansas City in FY14.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Jan 02, 2015