Updated August 2014
Enhancing Student Education
- 18 students from Miami County are currently studying at KU Medical Center.
- 4 Miami County physicians serve as volunteer KU Medical Center faculty, providing medical students with hands-on training in rural and underserved communities as part of the Rural Preceptorship Program.
- 12 high school students in Miami County participated in activities during Fiscal Year 2014 that encouraged them to consider careers in health care, math and science. These events were hosted by University of Kansas Area Health Education Centers.
- Miami County is part of the Eastern Medical Education Network with Robert Haskins, MD, a resident of Pittsburg, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 166 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Miami County.
- 1 health care provider has been placed in Miami County since 2004 through the Kansas Recruitment and Retention Center, which provides placement assistance to rural health organizations and seeks to enhance the quality and quantity of health care professionals in rural Kansas.
- 1 Miami County physician received funding through the Kansas Bridging Plan, a loan-forgiveness program offered since 1991 to primary care medical residents who agree to practice in rural Kansas.
- 92 enrollments in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences by Miami County health care professionals in Fiscal Year 2014.
Advancing Health Care Access
- 30 Miami County residents saw KU Medical Center health care providers via telemedicine, an interactive video technology that connects providers and patients when distance separates the two, in FY14. These services are provided through the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
- Miami County is served by the East office of KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Centers (AHECs) in Pittsburg, which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Aug 22, 2014