Updated August 2014
Enhancing Student Education
- 3 students from Smith County are studying at KU Medical Center.
- 3 Smith County physicians serve as volunteer KU Medical Center faculty, providing medical students with hands-on training in rural and underserved communities as part of the Rural Preceptorship Program.
- Smith County is part of the Northwest Medical Education Network with Michael Machen, MD, a resident of Quinter, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 10 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Smith County.
- 1 Smith County physician received funding through the Kansas Bridging Plan, a loan-forgiveness program offered since 1991 to primary care medical residents who agree to practice in rural Kansas.
- 28 professional education and administrative visits in Smith County occurred in Fiscal Year 2014 via telemedicine, an interactive video technology that connects providers and patients when distance separates the two. The technology is operated by the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
- 1 enrollment in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences by Smith County health care professionals in FY14.
Advancing Health Care Access
- 92 Smith County residents saw KU Medical Center health care providers via telemedicine, an interactive video technology that connects providers and patients when distance separates the two, in FY14. These services are provided through the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
- Smith County is served by the West office of KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Centers (AHECs) in Hays, which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Are we forgetting anything?
Please fill out the form below with any information that we are missing for this county.
Aug 22, 2014