Updated February 2013
Osborne County is served by the Northwest office of KU Medical Center's Area Health Education Centers (AHECs) in Hays, which serves the state through student education initiatives, professional education for health care providers, health screenings, clinics and public presentations on health topics.
Enhancing Student Education
- 4 students from Osborne County are currently studying at KU Medical Center.
- Osborne County is part of the Northwest Medical Education Network with Michael Machen, MD, a resident of Quinter, serving as the Medical Education Director. The medical education director helps coordinate the School of Medicine's efforts to mentor, train and place physicians throughout Kansas.
Strengthening the Health Care Workforce
- 3 KU Medical Center graduates live and/or practice in Osborne County.
- 2 health care providers have been placed in Osborne County since 2003 through the Kansas Recruitment and Retention Center, which provides placement assistance to rural health organizations and seeks to enhance the quality and quantity of health care professionals in rural Kansas.
- 1 Osborne County physician received funding through the Kansas Bridging Plan, a loan-forgiveness program offered since 1991 to primary care medical residents who agree to practice in rural Kansas.
- 1 shift was covered by a temporary physician, which allowed an Osborne County physician necessary time off in 2012. This coverage was made via KU Medical Center's Kansas Locum Tenens and Kansas Medical Resource programs.
- 14 health care professionals from Osborne County participated in KU Medical Center continuing education courses and conferences in 2012.
Advancing Health Care Access
- 2 Osborne County residents made visits to KU Medical Center health care providers in outreach clinics held outside of Kansas City in 2012.
- 26 Osborne County residents saw KU Medical Center health care providers via telemedicine, an interactive video technology that connects providers and patients when distance separates the two, in 2012. These services are provided through the University of Kansas Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth.
May 23, 2013