Rural Kansas Photography Contest Rules and Terms
Entry form and upload will be available Sept. 1, 2019.
The Rural Kansas Photography Contest (the "Photo Contest") seeks striking digital images that celebrate life in rural Kansas. The purpose of the Photo Contest is to work with amateur and professional photographers ("Photographer/s") to produce a collection of photographs to help promote Kansas as a great place for health care providers to live, work, and play.
Contest Date for 2019
Online entries can be uploaded starting on Sunday, September 1, 2019. Deadline for submitting entries is 12 p.m./Noon CST on Monday, October 7, 2019. All submitted entries are referred to herein as "Photographs."
- All Photographs must be taken in the State of Kansas.
- Photographers must be at least 18 years of age to participate.
- Photographs must be submitted in digital format.
- Digital images (.jpg/.jpeg) must be at least 300 dpi. and minimum 8"x10".
- An online entry form must accompany the Photograph submission/s. Only entries with complete and accurate information will be considered eligible.
- All Photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photographs that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will be disqualified.
- If a Photographer chooses to include people in her/his submission, s/he is responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to RHES upon request.
- RHES prefers images without watermarks; however, if they are necessary, they should be small and inconspicuous enough not to interfere with the judging of the Photograph.
- Photographers may enter up to three (3) Photographs in each category.
- Photographer retains all copyright privileges for any submitted Photograph. By submitting his/her Photograph(s) to the Photo Contest, Photographer grants to the University of Kansas including but not limited to RHES (the "University"), and the Kansas Board of Regents ("KBOR") a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free license to copy, reproduce or otherwise use the Photograph and derivative works therefrom for non-commercial publicity, educational, and scholarly purposes, and any other non-commercial purpose related to the mission of the University or KBOR, respectively, including specifically (but not limited to):
- Print and digital communications, websites, handouts, brochures, labels, postcards, magazines, journals, and newspapers related to the mission of University or KBOR;
- Print and digital communications of finalists and winners for Kansas Country Living magazine.
- To transmit or otherwise communicate or display Photograph by means of any device, process, or medium (e.g., slides, film, television, electronic, or other formats).
In its use in connection with this Photo Contest, University will use Photographer's name, city, state, and country of residence in promotions and other publications. University, through its RHES program, will keep the files provided, and archive the Photographs on CD or in other electronic forms, so that they can be properly credited. As a condition of this permission and license, University shall credit, and cause KBOR to credit, all Photographs with the caption "© [Photographer's Name]."
- University is not responsible for late, lost, damaged, destroyed, or misdirected entries or for miscommunications, misdirected transmissions, or other errors of any kind whether human or electronic in the Photo Contest entry process.
- By entering, Photographers release and hold harmless the University, and KBOR, as well as their directors and employees.
- By entering, Photographer agrees to abide by the terms of these official rules and by the decisions of the judges, which are final on all matters pertaining to the Photo Contest.
Judging, Voting, and Announcements of Winners
- Photographs will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, and artistic merit.
- The judging panel will select five to seven Photographs in category a-e to be finalists. Finalists will be announced Tuesday, November 5, 2019.
- Guests who attend the National Rural Health Day celebration in either Kansas City or Wichita on Thursday, November 21, 2019 will have the opportunity to vote for the winning Photographs (a-e) in person.
- Individuals who live or work in Kansas may request a link to vote. Requests must be made by Tuesday, November 19, 2019. One vote per device. Request a link to vote by visiting http://bit.ly/ksphotovote.
- Winners will be announced Wednesday, December 4, 2019.
- Winning Photographs will be published in Kansas Connections online newsletter, displayed on the RHES website, posted to the RHES Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter sites, among other uses permitted under these Photo Contest rules subject to the Photographer's rights noted above.
- The Kansas Country Living editorial staff will select a grand prize winner from all entries. Winner will be notified in December. Winning Photograph will be published on the cover of the January 2020 Kansas Country LIving magazine. Their selected finalist Photograph(s) may also be published inside the magazine. All Photographers will be notified in advance of publishing.
Categories and Prizes for 2019
- First Place winners in categories a-e will receive $75.
- Second Place winners in categories a-e will receive $35.
- The Kansas Country Living Grand Prize Winner will receive $100 and the Photograph will be featured on the January 2020 cover of Kansas Country Living. Kansas Country Living editorial staff will select one winner from all categories (a-f).
- Winter Holiday Video Card (f) winners will receive credit in the RHES holiday card video and a Kansas-themed t-shirt.
- (a) State of the Storm — Capture the Kansas weather in all its glory (e.g., storms, rain, wind, snow, ice, clouds).
- (b) Kansas Landscapes — Wow us with a beautiful Kansas landscape of any season (e.g., spring blooms, sunflower fields, bridges, sunsets, trees, storms, lakes, buring fields).
- (c) Healthcare Heroes — Focus on a healthcare hero in your community. Grab your camera and shoot a portrait or casual shot and provide a few sentences on why this healthcare hero has earned his/her cape (individuals or a group of any healthcare provider or first responder). This category will also be shared through our social media channels and we will tag the organization in the post.
- (d) Friday Night Lights & Weekend Highlights — People in action! Give us a glimpse into the perks of what life as a Kansan is like during the down-times (e.g., road trips, memorial runs/walks, athletic events, parades, festivals, rodeos, pep rallies, ice cream socials, carnivals, cookouts, ceremonies, cooking, hiking, biking, water skiing, camping, farming, fishing, hunting).
- (e) Wildlife and Critters — Fuzzy, furry, creepy or crawly, we love seeing them all (e.g., beloved pets, birds, insects, butterflies, cattle, horses, deer, reptiles).
- (f) Annual Winter Holiday Video Card — Have your winter scenes showcased in the RHES annual winter holiday video card. Each year, the RHES team looks forward to selecting their favorite winter photos for the annual winter holiday video card. Share your winter scenes with us from any category (no limit). Our winter holiday video card is emailed to more than 1,000 individuals throughout Kansas and posted on our social media sites. Photographers with images selected for the annual winter holiday video card will receive a Kansas-themed t-shirt.
Kansas Country Living Grand Prize Winner
- We are excited to partner with Kansas Country Living magazine again this year. Kansas Country Living magazine carries out the mission of the state's 28 distribution electric cooperatives to help improve the quality of life of their consumer-members. The monthly magazine, with a circulation of approximately 128,000, reflects the lifestyles and cultures of rural, suburban and small town Kansas and covers topics that impact rural electrification and the rural way of life.
The Kansas Country Living editorial team will choose from all of the entries a $100 grand-prize winning Photograph that will be featured on the January 2020 cover of the magazine.
Oct 07, 2019