Rural Kansas Photography Contest Rules and Terms
Entry form and upload will be available Sept. 1, 2017.
The Rural Kansas Photography Contest seeks striking digital images that celebrate life in Kansas. The purpose of the contest is to work with amateur and professional photographers to produce a collection of photographs to help promote Kansas as a great place for health care providers to live, work, and play.
Contest Date for 2017
Online entries can be uploaded starting on Friday, September 1, 2017. Deadline for submitting entries is 11:59 p.m. CST on Sunday, October 22, 2017.
The Rural Kansas Photography Contest is presented by the University of Kansas Medical Center, Rural Health Education and Services (RHES).
- All photographs must be taken in the State of Kansas.
- Individuals must be at least 18 years of age to participate.
- Photographs must be submitted in digital format.
- Digital images (.jpg, .jpeg) must be at least 300 dpi (resolution).
- An online contest entry form must accompany the photo submissions. Only entries with complete and accurate information will be considered eligible.
- All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will be disqualified.
- If you choose to include people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to RHES upon request.
- We prefer images without watermarks, however, if they are necessary, they should be small and inconspicuous enough not to interfere with the judging of the photo.
- Photographers may enter up to three (3) photographs in each category.
Categories for 2017
- Main Street Kansas — Show us your favorite quiet or bustling Main Street from a unique perspective (e.g., shops, diners, theaters, the strip, clocks, statues, group gatherings—indoors or out).
- Kansas Landscapes — Wow us with a beautiful Kansas landscape of any season (e.g., spring blooms, sunflower fields, bridges, sunsets, trees, storms, lakes, buring fields).
- Healthcare Heroes — Focus on a healthcare hero in your community. Grab your camera and shoot a portrait or casual shot and provide a few sentences on why this healthcare hero has earned his/her cape (individuals or a group of any healthcare provider or first responder). This category will also be shared through our social media channels and we will tag the organization in the post.
- Healthcare Events — Let us in on the activity going on in your organization (e.g., screenings, special events, special visitors, lunch bunch, open house, ribbon cutting).
- Friday Night Lights & Weekend Highlights — Give us a glimpse into the perks of what life as a Kansan is like during the down-times (e.g., road trips, memorial runs/walks, athletic events, parades, festivals, rodeos, pep rallies, ice cream socials, carnivals, cookouts, ceremonies, cooking, hiking, biking, water skiing, camping, farming, fishing, hunting).
- Wildlife and Critters — Fuzzy, furry, creepy or crawly, we love seeing them all (e.g., beloved pets, birds, insects, butterflies, cattle, horses, deer, reptiles).
- Winter Holiday - Have your winter scenes showcased inthe RHES annual holiday card. Each year, the RHES team looks forward to selecting their favorite winter photos for the annual holiday card. Share your winter scenes with us from any category (no limit). Last year we transitioned from a print to video card. Our video holiday card is emailed to more than 1,000 individuals throughout Kansas and posted on our social media sites. Photographers with images selected for the video will receive a Kansas: Live, Work, Play t-shirt and credit in the video.
Judging, Voting, Announcements and Prizes
- Images will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact and artistic merit.
- The judging panel will select five to seven photographs in each category to be the contest's Finalists. Finalist photographs will be officially announced Wednesday, November 1, 2017.
- Guests who attend the National Rural Health Day celebration in Kansas City and Wichita on Thursday, November 16 will have the opportunity to vote for the winning photographs in person.
- Individuals who live or work in Kansas may request a link to vote with our email sign-up form on the right. Request must be made by Monday, November 13, 2017. One vote per device.
- Winners will be officially announced Wednesday, November 29, 2017.
- Winning photos will be published in Kansas Connections online newsletter, displayed on the RHES website, and posted to the RHES Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter sites.
- First place winners in categories (Main Street Kansas, Kansas Landscapes, Healthcare Heroes, Friday Night Lights & Weekend Highlights, and Wildlife & Critters) will receive $75. Second place winners in those categories will receive $35.
- Photographer retains all copyright privileges for submitted photographs. Photographer grants unlimited, nonexclusive use license to RHES. RHES reserves the right to use the photographs in printed materials and by electronic means in the promotion of rural Kansas and RHES programs. As conditions of this permission, RHES shall credit all photographs with the caption "© [Person's Name]." RHES may:
- Use the photograph on the Internet in support of the RHES mission.
- Use the photograph in RHES's communications.
- Provide your photograph to employees within the University of Kansas Medical Center in KUMC-related use in news stories, newsletters, reports, slide shows, displays, prints, and web pages.
- Use, in connection with the Photo Contest, your name, city, state and country of residence in promotions and other publications.
- Keep the files provided, and to archive the images on CD or in other electronic forms, so that your photos can be properly credited.
- RHES is not responsible for late, lost, damaged, destroyed or misdirected entries or for miscommunications, misdirected transmissions, or other errors of any kind whether human or electronic.
- By entering, participants release and hold harmless the University of Kansas Medical Center and RHES, as well as any directors or employees of the department.
- Contest entrants agree to abide by the terms of these official rules and by the decisions of the judges, which are final on all matters pertaining to the contest.
Jul 21, 2017