Rural Kansas Photography Contest Rules and Terms
Entry form and upload will be available Sept. 1, 2015.
The Rural Kansas Photography Contest is presented by the University of Kansas Medical Center, Rural Health Education and Services. The contest is open to individuals at least 18 years of age who reside and/or work in the State of Kansas.
Online entries can be uploaded on Tuesday, September 1, 2015. Deadline for submitting entries is 11:59 p.m. CST on Sunday, October 18, 2015.
What to Enter
- Rural Health Education and Services (RHES) is looking for striking digital images that celebrate life in rural Kansas. The purpose is to work with amateur and professional photographers to produce a collection of photographs to help promote Kansas as a great place for health care providers to live, work, and play.
- All photographs must be taken in the state of Kansas.
- Photographs must be submitted in digital format.
- Digital images (.jpg, .jpeg or .gif format) must be at least 300 dpi (resolution). There is a 4 MB maximum per image.
- Entries may originate in any format as long as they are submitted electronically.
- An online contest entry form must accompany the photo submissions. Only entries with complete and accurate information will be considered eligible.
- All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared. Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization (removal of dust, cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.) will be disqualified.
- If you choose to include people in your submission, you are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to RHES upon request.
- Submissions may be watermarked if desired, but the watermark should be inconspicuous enough to not interfere with the judging of the photo.
- Photographers may enter up to three (3) photographs in each category.
- Previously entered photographs may be disqualified.
Categories for 2015
- Community Landmarks - From historic venues to new additions - landmarks that tell the story of communities both past and present. Share landmark images in rural and remote areas, and small towns..
- Four Seasons - Showcase a beautiful Kansas landscape of winter, spring, summer, or fall (e.g., icy covered trees, spring blooms, sunflowers, summer sunsets, fall leaves).
- Health Care - Show us why Kansas is a great place for health care providers to work (e.g., health care setting, first responders, wellness and awareness events, health care staff working or having a good time).
- Heartland Adventures - Capture the spirit and adventures of the heartland (e.g., memorial runs/walks, athletic events, parades, festivals, rodeos, pep rallies, ice cream socials, carnivals, cookouts, ceremonies, cooking, hiking, biking, water skiing, camping, farming, fishing, hunting).
- Wildlife and Critters - Anything fuzzy, furry, creepy or crawly (e.g., beloved pets, birds, insects, butterflies, cattle, horses, deer, frogs).
- Winter Holiday - Every year RHES staff look forward to selecting their favorite winter picture for the annual holiday card. Share your winter scene with us. Our holiday card is sent to more than 800 individuals throughout Kansas.Winter scene photographs submitted in one of the other categories will be automatically considered and you have the option to submit an additional three photos for this category.
Judging, Voting and Prizes
- Images will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact and artistic merit.
- The judging panel will select five to seven photographs in each category to be the contest's Finalists. Finalist photographs will be officially announced Tuesday, November 3, 2015.
- Guests who attend the National Rural Health Day celebration in Kansas City and Wichita on Thursday, November 19 will have the opportunity to vote for the winning photographs in person.
- Individuals who live or work in Kansas may request a link to vote by Monday, November 16, 2015. One vote per computer. Email with link to vote will be sent by 9 a.m. CST on Friday, November 20 and must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. CST that day.
- Winners will be officially announced Tuesday, December 1, 2015.
- Prizes will be awarded to the top two winning photographers in each category. Winning photos will be published in Kansas Connections newsletter and displayed on the RHES website.
- Photographer retains all copyright privileges for submitted photographs. Photographer grants unlimited, nonexclusive use license to RHES. RHES reserves the right to use the photographs in printed materials and by electronic means in the promotion of rural Kansas and RHES programs. As conditions of this permission, RHES shall credit all photographs with the caption "© [Person's Name]." RHES may:
- Use the photograph on the Internet in support of the RHES mission.
- Use the photograph in RHES's communications.
- Provide your photograph to employees within the University of Kansas Medical Center in KUMC-related use in news stories, newsletters, reports, slide shows, displays, prints, and web pages.
- Use, in connection with the Photo Contest, your name, city, state and country of residence in promotions and other publications.
- Keep the files provided, and to archive the images on CD or in other electronic forms, so that your photos can be properly credited.
- RHES is not responsible for late, lost, damaged, destroyed or misdirected entries or for miscommunications, misdirected transmissions, or other errors of any kind whether human or electronic.
- By entering, participants release and hold harmless the University of Kansas Medical Center and RHES, as well as any directors or employees of the department.
- Contest entrants agree to abide by the terms of these official rules and by the decisions of the judges, which are final on all matters pertaining to the contest.
Aug 10, 2015