Loan Forgiveness and Repayment Options
Kansas Bridging Plan - Loan Forgiveness
The Kansas Bridging Plan (KBP) is a loan forgiveness program for primary care and psychiatry residents created to encourage physicians to practice in Kansas upon completion of residency training.
Each year the State of Kansas funds up to 13 slots for primary care and 3 slots for psychiatry. Matching funds from the State and a health care organization provide a combined financial incentive of at least $25,000 in exchange for a 36-month commitment to practice in an eligible Kansas county. Learn more about the Kansas Bridging Plan.
National Health Service Corps - Loan Repayment
The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Loan Repayment Program provides $50,000, tax free, to primary care medical, dental, and mental health clinicians in exchange for two years of service at an approved site in a Health Professional Shortage Area with a HPSA score of 14 or above. Providers with two years of service at an approved site in a Health Professional Shortage Area with a HPSA score of 13 or less can receive up to $30,000. Upon completion of the service commitment, clinicians may be eligible to apply for (NHSC) additional support for extended service.
For more information, visit http://nhsc.hrsa.gov.
Kansas State Loan Repayment Program - Loan Repayment
The Primary Care Office in the Bureau of Local and Rural Health receives funding from the federal Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) through the National Health Service Corps to administer the Kansas State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP). The program provides loan repayment assistance to health professionals with qualifying educational loans.
For more information, visit www.kdheks.gov/olrh/FundLoan.html.
Community Stipend Programs in Kansas - Monthly Stipend
The Community Stipend Program provides a monthly stipend amount to resident physicians during residency and are typically tied to a practice commitment equal to the number of months the stipend was received by the provider. For more information, contact the Kansas Recruitment and Retention Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Student Repayment and Scholarship Information may be found at the following links:
- Kansas Hospital Education and Research Foundation's (KHERF) annual Health Care Scholarship
- Nursing: undergraduate students in nursing (KHERF)
- Graduate: graduate level students in any health care discipline (KHERF)
- Future Faculty: students pursuing education necessary to become health care faculty (KHERF)
- Health Care: undergraduate students in non-nursing health care fields (KHERF)
- Health Care Administration: students in health care administration (KAHCE)
- Human Resources: students in hospital human resource-related fields (KHHRA)
- State of Kansas Scholarships and Grants
- Kansas Medical Student Loan (KMSL)
- Kansas Osteopathic Medical Service Scholarship (KOMS)
- Kansas Medical Retroactive Student Loan
- Kansas Nursing Service Scholarship
- Kansas Nurse Educator Service Scholarship
- Kansas Optometry Service Scholarship
- NURSE Corps Loan Repayment Program
- National Health Service Corps Scholarships
- Rural Opportunity Zone Credit (ROZ)
- Perkins Loan Cancellation
- Dental Student Loan Repayment Programs & Resources
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program