Medical Professional Liability Insurance Sponsorship Policies and Procedures
- Current Kansas Locum Tenens (KLT) providers in good standing receive preference.
- Providers who have demonstrated a commitment to rural Kansas receive preference.
- Must be in good standing with residency/fellowship program and KC GME or WCGME.
- Must meet all KLT eligibility requirements: complete step 3 and 1 year of residency, have a full license issued by the Kansas Board of Healing Arts, a DEA certificate, medical professional liability insurance, and residency program director's approval.
- Applications will be reviewed in 4 week consecutive cycles with the first cycle starting July 1. Application may be completed here.
- Preference given to those as noted in selection criteria.
- Notification of sponsorship will be made at the end of the 4 week cycle, following signing of contract (if applicable) and KaMMCO insurance application completion.
- Resident physician/fellow must currently be in a Kansas residency/fellowship program.
- KLT will select resident physicians/fellows to receive medical professional liability insurance sponsorship based on selection criteria and available funding. KLT reserves the right to decline an application.
- Resident physician/fellow intends to complete at least 4 coverage assignments within a year. If the resident/fellow is graduating off-cycle, 4 coverages should be completed before graduation.
- KLT assists with the medical professional liability insurance application. KLT works with USI Midwest, LLC (insurance broker) and resident/fellow in getting application completed, quote returned, and insurance in place.
- Resident physicians/fellows are required to carry a personal medical professional liability insurance policy in an amount no less than one million dollars per occurrence/three million dollars annual aggregate.
- KLT will reimburse the resident/fellow the amount of the liability insurance, up to $1400. Reimbursement is subject to taxes.
- Medical professional liability insurance policies are required to be purchased within 60 days of sponsorship approval. A copy of the policy must be submitted to KLT within those 60 days.
- If a resident/fellow is denied insurance coverage, they are not eligible for liability insurance sponsorship or the KLT program.
May 14, 2018