Is it possible to extend my research educational experience beyond four months?
Yes. The vice chancellor for research can approve extensions for up to four months with and sound justification. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on how to request an extension.
Is it possible to extend my clinical observational experience beyond 40 hours?
Yes. Your sponsor/host can extend the duration of your clinical observational experience if they like.
Do I really need to have a TB skin test?
Yes. If you have not had a TB skin test within the past 12 months you will need to have one.
What is a Varicella titer?
A Varicella titer is a blood test that will tell us if you are immune to the Varicella (Chicken Pox) virus.
Do I need to have a Varicella titer drawn if I’ve had Chicken Pox?
Yes. Having had the disease does not guarantee immunity.
Do I need to complete the KEE Program Application, including all of the documentation requirements, if I have already found a sponsor and coordinated my educational experience with them?
Yes. Your educational experience will not be approved if you don’t complete the application and submit the required paperwork.
If I have had a background check within the last 12 months do I need to accomplish a new one?
No. Simply send the results of the background check that was completed within the last 12 months to the visitor coordinator at email@example.com.
What are the immunization/TB screening requirements for a clinical observational (shadowing) experience?
- If you are hoping to shadow for more than a single day you must provide proof of the following:
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR): two doses of MMR vaccine after your first birthday or documented serologic proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella
- Varicella: two doses of Varicella vaccine or documented serologic proof of immunity to the disease. Remember, a history of the disease is not sufficient proof of immunity.
- Hepatitis B: threes doses of Hepatitis B vaccine
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis (TDAP): TDAP vaccination must be within 10 years of KEE participation
- Influenza: an annual Influenza vaccination if the visitor will be on campus at any time between October 1 and May 1.
- Tuberculosis: TB skin test or IGRA negative within one year of KEE program start date.
Can I submit documentation of my immunizations and TB test instead of having my healthcare provider complete the form in the KEE Information Packet?
Yes. Please be sure that you send documentation that indicates immunity or accomplishment of the required vaccinations as well as TB screening.
How long do background checks take?
Validity Screening Solutions usually takes 24 to 48 hours to complete a background check.
Can I shadow in more than one unit/area?
Yes. Please email us the name and department of your sponsor and the dates you will shadow so that we can coordinate with them.
Can I participate in both a clinical observational (shadowing) experience and a research experience at the same time?
Yes, but you will need to complete a separate online KEE application for each experience.
Where should I park while participating in the KEE program?
The KEE program does not provide parking for educational experiences. We recommend that you contact KUMC Parking Services with questions.
Do I need to get my ID badge before the first day of my shadowing or research experience?
We recommend that you contact your sponsor and ask if you will have time to pick up your badge on the first day of your educational experience. You can, however, pick up your badge prior to the beginning your educational experience.
How long does it take to get a badge at the badge office?
It depends upon how busy the office is. If the line is short, the office can produce your badge in a matter of minutes.