Programs for Students
There are many opportunities offered for students through the KU Medical Center AHEC, however the support of a teacher or counselor is needed to participate. With the help of teachers and counselors, Kansas students can take advantage of programs that can help them find their path to a successful career.
Programs available to students:
- Night @ The Lab is the newest addition to the career promotion lineup. This event consists of six regional competitions in which teams of three students research health-related topics and present them to the community and a panel of judges. Each regional winner advances to a statewide competition and the opportunity to present to medical experts.
- CampMed is a day-long workshop with hands-on activities for high school students in grades 10-12 interested in health care careers. Students interact with health care professionals in small group learning sessions, where they build real-world skills required for careers in health care, such as how to perform intubation or properly practice CPR.
- Journeys & Destinations is a day-long event for high school students to spend time with health care professionals from a wide range of disciplines in a small group setting. Students will hear from a variety of health care professionals about the career path, salary potential and daily activities among the different health care careers.
- Women in Health Care: The Next Generation was created to encourage women to become leaders in health care. This exciting weekend program takes eight Kansas high school junior and senior female students who have shown a strong interest and commitment to health care careers. These women interact with health professions students and faculty at KU Medical Center to explore the world of medicine and health care.
- KU Medical Center Tours are now available for groups of students to get a first-hand look at a modern academic health center. On the tour, students may visit the the Hoglund Brain Imaging Center, the Pathology Lab, A.R. Dykes Library, and several other departments.
2014-15 Health Career Promotion Schedule Taking Shape
The AHEC's health care career promotion schedule for high school students is filling up quickly. This upcoming school year, the AHEC will be continuing several successful events as well as introducing a couple new locations, such as Hartman. See schedule below for a list of programs on tap:
- September 10, 2014 - CampMed, Butler County (Tentative)
- September 2014 - Journeys & Destinations, Seward County
- October 8, 2014 - Journeys & Destinations, Butler County
- October 16, 2014 - Journeys & Destinations, Greenbush
- October 2014 - Journeys & Destinations, Highland
- October 2014 - Night @ The Lab regional events
- November 17, 2014 - Night @ The Lab statewide event
- November 21, 2014 - Journeys & Destinations, Hays
- March 5, 2015 - Journeys & Destinations, Eudora
- April 28, 2015 - CampMed, Pittsburg (Tentative)
- To Be Announced - Journeys & Destinations, Goodland
- To Be Announced - CampMed, Ellsworth
- To Be Announced - CampMed, Belleville
- To Be Announced - Journeys & Destinations, Hartman
Each year, the AHEC travels throughout the state to host career promotion events in rural Kansas. The goal of these programs is to introduce rural Kansas students to the multitude of opportunities in health care. Too often, students think of health care as what they see on television, however, with our programs we aim to shed light on some of the lesser known, yet equally as important, career paths such as respiratory therapy, pharmacy, flight nursing, and more.
Aug 20, 2014