Today, careers in health care go far beyond doctors and nurses. With more than 250 professions in health care to consider, many students find choosing just one difficult.
The KU Medical Center Area Health Education Center has developed several different programs to help students find their perfect fit in health care:
- Night @ The Lab - This is our newest career promotion event in which students research health related topics and put together a presentation that will be given to the community.
- CampMed - During this day-long event, high school juniors and seniors learn about health care careers in a hands-on environment alongside health care professionals in small group sessions.
- Journeys & Destinations - This career fair is more than just booths, brochures, and free pens. Journeys & Destinations gives high school students opportunities to spend time with local and regional health care professionals from a wide range of disciplines to learn about potential career paths and educational background needed for that particular area.
- Women in Health Care: The Next Generation - This weekend-long event gives eight high school junior and senior female students opportunities for hands-on learning and mentoring with women in leadership roles in health care.
- KU Medical Center Tours - Tours of the KU Medical Center are available to high school student classes. Tours may include visits to the pathology lab, brain imaging center, or clinical skills lab among others.
2014-15 Health Career Promotion Schedule Taking Shape
The AHEC's health care career promotion schedule for high school students is filling up quickly. This upcoming school year, the AHEC will be continuing several successful events as well as introducing a couple new locations, such as Hartman. See schedule below for a list of programs on tap:
- October 1, 2014 - Night @ The Lab Southwest Region, Garden City
- October 8, 2014 - Journeys & Destinations, Butler County
- October 16, 2014 - Journeys & Destinations, Greenbush
- October 20, 2014 - Night @ The Lab South-Central Region, Wichita
- October 23, 2014 - Night @ The Lab North-Central Region, Concordia
- October 27, 2014 - Night @ The Lab Northeast Region, Holton
- October 28, 2014 - Night @ The Lab Southeast Region, Iola
- November 5-7, 2014 - Women in Health Care: The Next Generation, Kansas City
- November 12, 2014 - Night @ The Lab Northwest Region, Colby
- November 13, 2014 - Journeys & Destinations, Goodland
- November 19-20, 2014 - Night @ The Lab statewide event
- November 21, 2014 - Journeys & Destinations, Hays
- November 24, 2014 - Journeys & Destinations, Highland
- December 4-5, 2014 - Kansas HOSA Officer Training, Kansas City
- March 5, 2015 - Journeys & Destinations, Eudora
- March 9-11, 2015 - Kansas HOSA Competition, Wichita
- April 1, 2015 - CampMed, Ellsworth
- April 15, 2015 - Journeys & Destinations, Harper
- April 28, 2015 - CampMed, Pittsburg (Tentative)
- To Be Announced - CampMed, Belleville
Each year, the AHEC travels throughout the state to host career promotion events in rural Kansas. The goal of these programs is to introduce rural Kansas students to the multitude of opportunities in health care. Too often, students think of health care as what they see on television, however, with our programs we aim to shed light on some of the lesser known, yet equally as important, career paths such as respiratory therapy, pharmacy, flight nursing, and more.
*Students should check with their health care cluster or science teachers for details on how they may participate in these events.
Aug 22, 2014