|Like us on Facebook|
|Follow us on Twitter|
2018 Teacher Summer Externship - June 12-14, 2018
The dates for the 2018 Teacher Summer Externship have not been finalized. Please check back later for more information. As in previous years, the 2018 Teach Summer Externship will be held on the campus of KU Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan. Registration will be limited to the first 15 applicants. There is no cost to attend this event, however, hotel accommodations and meals will be the responsibility of the participants.
Teachers wishing to participate in the 2018 Teacher Summer Externship need to complete and sign the following documents. Once completed, please return to Seth Nutt by email at email@example.com or by fax at (620) 235-4041.
Teacher Bio Sketch
Infection Control Form
KUMC Photo/Video Release
History of Teacher Summer Externship
The KU Medical Center Area Health Education Center developed the Teacher Summer Externship to provide an opportunity for health career cluster teachers to obtain continuing education hours toward in accordance with the Kansas State Department of Education's approval process for implementation or continuation of the Health Science Career Pathway/Cluster curriculum.
The externship was piloted in 2009 with 3 teachers from the Kansas City, Kan. school district. It was expanded in 2012 offering the externship during two separate weeks. The goals of the Teacher Summer Externship are:
- To increase understanding of the academic preparation necessary for health professions programs
- To increase understanding of admission requirements and selection procedures for health professions programs
- To increase effective transmission of relevant information from industry to the secondary health science classroom
- To increase effective transmission of relevant information from post-secondary health professions programs to the secondary health science classroom
- To provide health science teachers contact with current students in health professions programs
- To enhance relationships with key stakeholders including Kansas State Department of Education, KU Medical Center, the Area Health Education Centers and Kansas high schools
To meet the goals listed above, the Teacher Summer Externship includes:
- Observing lectures in the School of Medicine, the School of Nursing and the School of Health Professionals
- Participating in activities in the Nursing Clinical Learning Lab, Neis Skills Lab, the Respiratory Care Learning Lab, and the Orthopedic Research Lab
- Meeting with recruiters from the School of Medicine, the School of Nursing, the School of Health Professionals and the School of Pharmacy
- Touring many areas of the University of Kansas Hospital, the University of Kansas Cancer Center, Hoglund Brain Imaging Center and Hemenway Life Sciences Innovation Center
- Meeting with a panel of current KU Medical Center students from School of Nursing