Our Communications team is dedicated to helping members of the media get the information they need from KU Medical Center. To better assist you, we urge you to contact us as a first point of reference for any assignment that involves KU Medical Center. See Media Guidelines and requirements (below staff listing).
For media inquiries involving KU Medical Center, including expert interviews, research and education:
• Kay Hawes
Associate Director of News and Media Relations
For media inquiries involving KU Medical Center, including executive communication:
• Natalie Lutz
Director of Communications
For inquiries about publications, graphic services and photography at KU Medical Center:
• Donna Peck
Associate Director of Creative Services and Managing Editor, Kansas Medicine+Science
913-588-5956 or 913-945-6005
Media access to campus and classrooms
KU Medical Center is a public university and welcomes the media onto its campuses with the following guidelines:
- Reporters do not need permission to be on campus or to take outdoor photographs of campus or building exteriors. Non-broadcast media have access to public areas inside buildings, such as foyers, lobbies and receiving areas.
- Out of sensitivity for patient/patient visitor's privacy, no filming or broadcasts are allowed without prior authorization and a University of Kansas Medical Center escort approved by the Office of Communications.
- Permission must be obtained through the Office of Communications for media to enter KU Medical Center classrooms, laboratories, training areas, and other restricted access areas.
- Media are not allowed into inpatient units in KU Medical Center buildings.
- Media are not allowed into clinical areas without a signed patient permission obtained prior to the media visit.
- Media are asked to notify the Office of Communications when they are on the KU Medical Center campus
Film, video and photography permission requirements
- Prior permission must be obtained to use KU Medical Center's property or images in commercial or other non-university film, video or photography projects.
- Requests for such privileges should be made at least 10 business days in advance of anticipated shoot date.
- The Office of Communications will communicate required procedures to the requesting entity on a situational basis.