KU Auxiliary helps with Eaton slope renovation
With the help of a $3,000 grant from the KU Auxiliary, landscape services has beautified the space outside of Eaton. In recognition of the Auxiliary's gift, landscape services has placed a bench with a plaque on it in the Eaton space.
Pictured: Jose Flores, landscape services; and Theresa Jernigan, Sheila Jewell, and Rita Clifford, Ph.D., RN – Auxiliary members
History of the Eaton building (provided by Nancy Hulston, archives director of Clendening History of Medicine Museum)
- Named for Eaton Street which it faced before the new hospital was built. Eaton Street was named for George C. Eaton, an early 20th century real estate developer in Wyandotte County.
- Originally built as a "colored ward" when patients were segregated.
- Before Eaton was built, African American patients were treated in a "temporary" wood barracks building, built in 1924, that stood behind what is now Murphy for more than 15 years.
- Eaton opened in 1940.
- Was originally a three-story building. Two more stories were added later.
- Contained a segregated nursery for African American babies born at KU Medical Center.
- Patient segregation was gradually phased out, ending completely in the early 1960s.
Currently, this renovated space is referred to as the Eaton slope. If you have an idea for a new name, please contact Christine Howard, associate director of landscape services, at 913-945-8161.
May 30, 2014