In each April issue of KUMed Central, we shared an awareness message to help the campus understand how much KU Medical Center spends on utilities. As promised, you can take a quiz on the information we covered, and everyone who answers correctly will be entered into a drawing to win energy-efficient compact fluorescent bulbs.
1) How much does KU Medical Center spend per year to provide utilities for the campus?
A) $5 million; B) $7 million; C) $9 million
2) Utility costs are increasing by what percent per year?
A) 8%; B) 10%; C) 15%
3) The amount of electricity used on campus could power how many houses per year?
A) 3,000; B) 4,000; C) 5,000
4) How many gallons of water are being used on campus each year?
A) 100,000; B) 500,000; C) 100 million
5) If everyone will do their part to conserve energy on campus, approximately how much could we save per year?
A) $100,000; B) $300,000; C) $500,000
6) The amount of natural gas KU Medical Center uses in a year would heat how many homes?
A) 3,000; B) 4,000; C) 5000
Email your answers here. The quiz will run from Monday, April 29, through Friday, May 3. The winners will be announced in the May 6 issue of KUMed Central.
Also, we will launch a monthly conservation campaign beginning in May. The monthly messages will present simple ideas and techniques that everyone can practice to help us reduce our utility spending. We will introduce each month's message in KUMed Central and in posters around campus. Together we can reduce our consumption and avoid unnecessary costs while being kind to our environment.