UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS MEDICAL CENTER GUIDELINES
DEATH ANNOUNCEMENTS FOR FACULTY, STAFF, STUDENTS AND SUPPORTERS
The University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC) respects the privacy of our faculty, staff, students and supporters. The purpose of these guidelines is to ensure that death announcements for faculty, staff, student and supporters are handled in a consistent, appropriate and thoughtful manner.
- Death announcements will be distributed via a campus-wide broadcast message only on rare occasions. Such instances include the death of an executive vice chancellor, a dean or other highly visible member of the campus community. A broadcast message would also be appropriate in instances when the sudden or tragic death of a student, staff or faculty member might attract media attention.
- Upon notification, a death announcement for a current employee will be posted on the In Memory page, located in the Faculty and Staff section on www.kumc.edu. The announcement will be up to 100 words and will remain on the In Memory page for up to six months or as space allows.
- The announcement will run in an issue of the weekly KUMed Central that will link to the In Memory page.
- Heads of departments/schools are invited to write an email message to their constituents upon the death of a colleague. The Office of Communications can assist with drafting the message, if provided with sufficient background material.
- The Office of Communications will strive to write obituaries for professors emeriti and other current and former faculty members who made a profound impact. The obituaries will be posted on the school's website.
- The Office of Communications will work with KU Endowment and/or the Office of Public Affairs on the Lawrence campus to write obituaries for high-profile community supporters that will be posted on the In Memory page.
Mar 31, 2014