KU Auxiliary History

1948

            

First Board Meeting held on April 19.
Mary Roberts served as president.
First Nursing Student Awards given.

1949

First Gift Shop opened by Mrs. Don Carlos Peete.

1951

First annual Yearbook printed.

1952-53

Loan Funds for student nurses.
Library cart taken to patients twice weekly.

1954-55

First concert tickets for student nurses.

1955-56

Cash register installed in Gift Shop.
Shop Cart went out to patients.

1958

Gift Shop manager hired.

1964

Funds contributed for part-time Volunteer Director.

1966

Financial support made available for a Chaplain.

1970-71

Fundraisers held for a new Burn Unit.

1974-75

"University of Kansas Auxiliary, Inc." incorporated.

1976-77

First Holiday Bazaar chaired by Louise Redford.

1979

Gala Dance for opening of new University of Kansas Hospital.

1979-80

Grand Opening of the lobby Gift Shop.
Sunflower Shop opened on 1-DELP.

1981-82

Fundraisers held for the new Dykes Library.
Graduate Student Travel Fund established.

1983

Jay Care Learning Center opened August 19.

1984

First Apple Pie Workshop.

1986-87

Gift Shops turn in a record $65,000 for hospital projects.

1987-88

Dues rose to $15.00. Finance Committee formed.

1988-89

Donated a new organ for Spencer Chapel.

1989-90

Allied Health Award named in honor of Louise deSchweinitz Darrow.
Bazaar nets a record $16,658.
Membership reaches 300.

1992

Long Range Planning Committee formed

1996

Computers installed in the Gift Shops.

1983

Jay Care made independent corporation.
KU Auxiliary received Hospital Association of Kansas Gold Award.

1998

Internet Web Site for the KU Auxiliary established.
KU Auxiliary Garden and Fountain Courtyard founded in honor of Margaret Mills
and Louise deSchweinitz Darrow.

1998-99

KU Auxiliary celebrates its 50th Anniversary.

2013

KU Auxiliary celebrates its 65th Anniversary.

Last modified: May 28, 2014
ID=x17917