Just when the University of Kansas Medical Alumni Association came into being is not quite clear. The statistical records have not been compiled inasmuch as a full-time secretary in a separate alumni office at the Medical Center came into existence around 1972. There was previously a part-time secretary.
Records of "officers" back to 1949 have been found. However, the Medical Association was in existence many years prior to that time. There are now approximately 5,000 living graduates.
Donations formed the financial survival of the early years. The first regular dues in the amount of $1 were collected in 1952. In 1956, the dues were increased to $5 and to $10 in 1970. In 1977, dues increased to $15 and then again 1982 to $25. Currently, the dues are $50 annually.
Many medical alumni complete their undergraduate education on a campus other than KU. The Alumni & Community Relations office works to provide a relationship with these alumni, which serves to enhance their total university allegiance.
In 1987, the Medical Alumni Association formed a Wichita Alumni alliance. The Wichita office serves to strengthen the relationships with those students completing their two years of clinical training on that campus.
The University of Kansas Nurses Alumni Association was organized October 14, 1919. In 1937, regular membership dues in the amount of $5 were collected from alumni who resided in Kansas District No. 2. Non-Residents were those alumni living outside this district who paid dues in the amount of $2. At some point, the resident clause was dropped and membership for all nurse graduates was $5.
There were 1,342 dues paying members in 1996 for the entire calendar year (an all-time high). There were 1,229 paid memberships for 2000. At present the regular membership consists of any graduate of the University of Kansas School of Nursing, any Honorary Nurse Alumnus and School of Nursing present faculty.