Welcome to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (OPA)! The University of Kansas Medical Center, as part of its continued commitment to the success of postdoctoral scholars as an integral part of the research enterprise of the institution, created the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs in 2007 to serve the over 100 postdoctoral scholars who are part of the campus community. The office is part of the larger Office of Postdoctoral Affairs and Graduate Studies (OPAGS), which is located within the Office of Academic and Student Affairs. Together with the KUMC Postdoctoral Association (KPA) and the Postdoctoral Advisory Committee (PAC), the office develops non-research related training that enhances a postdoctoral scholar's development as well as oversees policies and procedures, advocates on behalf of the postdoctoral community, and leverages campus and community resources to ensure the success of scholars both during their postdoctoral appointment and in their transition to the next phase of their career.
To serve as a central platform for information, resources, and opportunities that ensure the best possible experience for postdoctoral scholars at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
The Office of Postdoctoral Affairs will foster an environment that attracts, retains, grows, and empowers the most talented new scholars to become leaders in science and medicine.
- Professional satisfaction and meaningful training and career opportunities for postdoctoral scholars
- Collaboration and dialogue that enhance academic, professional, and personal growth
- Respect for diversity
- Transparent and participatory decision making
- Strengthen the identity and presence of postdoctoral scholarship on campus
- Provide programming and development opportunities for postdoctoral scholars
- Serve as a clearinghouse for information and communications related to the postdoctoral community
- Advocate on behalf of the postdoctoral community
- Support the recruitment and retention of talented postdoctoral scholars
- Foster a network that connects postdoctoral scholars on campus, in the community, and beyond
- Serve as a resource and support for principle investigators, mentors, and the faculty and staff who work and interact with postdoctoral scholars
Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
1005 Dykes Library
Mail Stop 1040
3901 Rainbow Boulevard
Kansas City, KS 66160