Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
University of Kansas Medical Center
Career Search and Professional Development
Useful Links and Resources
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Postdoctoral Scholars at the University of Kansas Medical Center may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. Through the PLSF Program, individuals who work full-time in public service jobs- including those who work for federal, state, or local government agencies or not-for-profit organizations, and make 120 full, on-time, scheduled monthly payments may apply for forgiveness of the remaining balance on those loans, while employed full time by public service employers.
- Only loans under the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program are eligible
- If you have other loans, such as Perkins Loan Program loans, you may be eligible to consolidate them into a Direct Consolidation Loan
- If you have consolidated loans into a Direct Consolidation Loan, only payments toward the new Direct Consolidation Loan will be counted toward the 120 required qualifying payments
- The required 120 payments do not need to be consecutive
- Forgiveness may be maximized by selecting an Income-Based, Pay as You Earn, or Income-Contingent Repayment Plan; 10-Year Standard Repayment Plans are also eligible, but typically do not leave a balance for forgiveness after 120 full, on-time, schedule payments.
- The Department of Education recommends, but does not require, certifying employment with qualifying employers annually, or every time you change employers
- To find out more and access helpful tools and planners, visit http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/charts/public-service.
Jul 17, 2014