Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
- Postdoc Listserv- a listserv intended to connect KUMC postdoctoral scholars for the sharing of information and resources
- Postdoc Press- quartlery postdoctoral newsletter
- Postdoctoral Advisory Committee- a committee of faculty, administrators and postdoctoral scholars that advises and supports the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
- Postdoctoral Certificate Request- after completing a postdoctoral appointment, scholars may request an official certificate
- Postdoctoral Registration- all postdocotral scholars at KUMC must register with the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs; the office will automatically send you a link to complete the Registration Form via the RedCap system. If you do not recieve an email or have questions, please contact the office
- Office of Postdoctoral Affairs Events- upcoming training, professional development and social opportunities
- Postdoctoral Handbook- please note the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs is currently working on an updated handbook; please contact the office with questions or to verify correct information
University of Kansas Medical Center
Parking at KUMC. Below are a few tips on parking for postdoctoral scholars. For details please visit the KUMC Parking Services page.
- A KUMC parking permit is required to park on any KUMC lot at any time
- After 5:00pm and on weekends, any vehicle registered to park at KUMC may park on any colored surface lot
- Postdoctoral scholars who are parking during regular business hours need to purchase a regular staff parking permit
- Postdoctoral scholars who are only parking after 5:00pm or on weekends may purchase a night/weekend student pass at a reduced rate
- This pass is only good for night/weekend parking, parking in the daytime may result in a ticket
- The Office of Postdoc Affairs maintains a list of elligible scholars- contact PostdoctoralOffice@kumc.edu or your department administrator if you are interested in this option
- Campus police will provide an escort within range after hours
- Postdoctoral scholars who carpool may wish to take advantage of a carpool account, which allows 3 vehicles to be registered under one account. Only one of the vehicles is allowed to park at a time.
Useful Links and Resources
- National Postdoctoral Association- National non-profit organization working to provide a voice and seeking positive change for postdoctoral scholars. KUMC is a sustaining member of NPA and as such, all postdoctoral scholars are entitled to a free affiliate membership.
- PubMed- PubMed comprises more than 24 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites
- Science Next Wave- Career development resource for scientists with extensive information for postdocs
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
- Postdoctoral Scholars at the University of Kansas Medical Center may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. Through the PLSF Program, individuals who work full-time in public service jobs- including those who work for federal, state, or local government agencies or not-for-profit organizations, and make 120 full, on-time, scheduled monthly payments may apply for forgiveness of the remaining balance on those loans, while employed full time by public service employers.
- Only loans under the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program are eligible
- If you have other loans, such as Perkins Loan Program loans, you may be eligible to consolidate them into a Direct Consolidation Loan
- If you have consolidated loans into a Direct Consolidation Loan, only payments toward the new Direct Consolidation Loan will be counted toward the 120 required qualifying payments
- The required 120 payments do not need to be consecutive
- Forgiveness may be maximized by selecting an Income-Based, Pay as You Earn, or Income-Contingent Repayment Plan; 10-Year Standard Repayment Plans are also eligible, but typically do not leave a balance for forgiveness after 120 full, on-time, schedule payments.
- The Department of Education recommends, but does not require, certifying employment with qualifying employers annually, or every time you change employers
- To find out more and access helpful tools and planners, visit the Federal Student Aid website.
May 29, 2015