Professional Development Award Criteria
Applications are evaluated competitively. The Professional Development Committee evaluates and ranks the applications and makes funding recommendations to the Dean of Graduate Studies based on the following criteria:
- The presentation of research (from the podium or via poster). When you are not the first author, provide an explanation in a cover letter.
- Provision of matching or supplemental funds by the student, student's advisor, or the student's department.
- The written abstract submitted to the meeting.
- A brief paragraph describing your research, written to be understood by a reviewer outside your field (see back page of application).
- Research carried out at KUMC.
- Participation in the KUMC Student Research Forum.
- Current research that is a clear extension of, or significantly different from, previous research for which travel funds were awarded, if applicable.
The following must be met:
- Complete the most current application form.
- Be enrolled in a KUMC graduate degree program at the time of application.
- Travel begins before the end of the semester in which the applicant defends the thesis/dissertation.
- Retroactive funding will not be considered. Travel occurs after the deadline date for the current application.
- Application received on or before the current announced deadline.
Students who submit an abstract to a meeting, but have not yet learned if it was accepted, may apply for funding and must include an explanation of the circumstances on the application form. An award may be made contingent upon the acceptance of the abstract, with verification to be provided at the time the awardee submits his/her original receipts for reimbursement and a copy of the registration receipt.
Past Professional Development Award winnners: 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009.
Jul 06, 2015