After reading the following short case and assessment results, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your answers. Number your answer according to the question number. Each answer should be no longer than 4 complete sentences in length.
A 55 y.o., 70 kg, male post thoracotomy for lung biopsy has been ordered on Incentive Spirometry. Pulmonary history notes the patient has worked in a chemical plant for the last 30 years. Smoked 1 pack per day for 10 years. Quit smoking 5 years ago. Your initial assessment reveals the following:
1. Is this patient's problem primarily obstructive or restrictive and how do you know?
2. What do the breath sounds seem to indicate in this case and why?
3. What are the primary goals of therapy?
4. Explain what you can do to improve this patient's cough?
5. How would you describe this patient's oxygenation status?
6. What is the patient's tidal volume and is it acceptable?