Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
This program is divided into three major sections: 1) Chamber, 2) Ventilator, and 3) Respiratory Care Practitioner. If you have a fast modem and file server, you may want to view the image map.
| The CEU participant may e-mail the faculty a question anytime|
| appears in the document. A reply will be given as soon as possible.|
- Subsections under Chamber include:
- Subsections under Ventilator include:
- Subsections under Respiratory Care Practitioner include:
After completing this program, the participant will be able to:
- Explain the principles involved with HBO therapy using Henry, Boyle, and Dalton's Laws.
- List the Emergent, Urgent, and Elective Conditions treatable by HBO as given in class.
- State the approximate time, frequency, and pressure generally involved with HBO treatments.
- Classify the methods of action of primary verses secondary effects and of oxygenation verses pressurization effects.
- Describe the complications associated with HBO including long term complications.
- State the absolute contraindications for HBO.
- Describe the two types of chambers used and compare the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Explain how the patient is prepared for HBO.
- List the signs and symptoms of oxygen toxicity.
- Describe how to check the operation of the Sechrist Model 500A Hyperbaric Ventilator.
|1.||Grim PS, Gottlieb L, Boddie A, Batson E. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy. JAMA. April 25, 1990, 263 (16); 2216-2221.|
|2.||Kindwall EP, Goldmann R. Hyperbaric medicine procedures. Milwaukee, WI: St. Luke's Hospital. 1988.|
|3.||Jain KK. Textbook of Hyperbaric Medicine. Lewiston, NY: Hogrefe and Huber Publishers, 1990.|
|4.||Bennett PB, Elliott DH (eds). The Physiology and Medicine of Diving. 3rd ed. San Pedro, CA. Best Publishing Co. 1982.|
|5.||Bove AA, Davis JC. Diving Medicine. Philadelphia: WB Saunder, 1990.|
|6.||Fischer B, Jain KK, Braun G, et al. Handbook of hyperbaric oxygen therapy. New York: Springer-Verlag, 1988.|
|7.||Operational Instructions: Monoplace Hyperbaric System Model 2500B and 2500BR. Sechrist Industries, Inc. Anaheim, CA.|
|8.||Operational Instructions: Sechrist Model 500A Hyperbaric Ventilator. Sechrist Industries, Inc. Anaheim, CA.|
The Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society
RC Ed Web Custodian
Last update: 10/1/97