Puritan Bennett 2800 Performance Check Date___Student___Eval___ Grade___
Total Points 22
1. What type of circuit would probably be the best to use on a home care ventilator?
1. Disposable tubing and non-disposable pt wye and exhalation valve.
2. What type of humidifier will you most likely see?
1. HME or passover types.
3. Can you add PEEP to the 2800?
1. Yes with an external PEEP valve added on.
4. When the patient breathes spontaneously in SIMV mode, which components in the circuit impose an increased work of breathing for the patient?
1. Breathing through the humidifier and in through the piston intake inlet.
5. What is the primary patient disconnect alarm in SIMV?
1. Low inspiratory pressure if Rate >/= 12.
2. Apnea if Rate < 12 BPM.
6. Can the patient trigger a mandatory breath in Control mode?
1. No, the patient can take spontaneous breaths through the machine over the set rate so the mode is really IMV.
7. What activates the Apnea Alarm? (2 pt)
1. In SIMV mode regardless of the set Rate, if there is no inspiratory effort (green sensitivity indicator) detected for 15 seconds or if Low Pressure setting not reached, Apnea alarm activated while ventilator continues with set rate.
2. After another 30 seconds, the SIMV Rate will switch to 12 BPM if the rate was < 12 BPM as the apnea alarm continues. If the SIMV rate was already > 12 BPM, the rate will stay at that setting.
8. How does the apnea alarm auto-reset? (2 pt)
1. After the first 15 sec apnea period, one inspiratory effort will auto-reset apnea alarm.
2. After another 30 seconds it takes two inspiratory efforts to auto-reset alarm.
9. How else can you get the ventilator out of Apnea Ventilation?
1. Can also return to SIMV by changing Mode Select knob from SIMV back to SIMV.
10. How does the sensitivity affect apnea detection?
1. If the sensitivity is too difficult, the patient's inspiratory effort won't reach the sensitivity level. The ventilator won't detect a patient effort in Assist or SIMV mode and go into Apnea Ventilation.
11. In Assist and Control mode, what happens if the Rate is < 4 BPM and there are no patient inspiratory efforts?
1. The Low Pressure alarm activates after 15 seconds and stops when the next breath is given by machine.
12. In assist mode, will the patient receive the set rate?
1. Yes, so it's really A/C mode.
13. What happens when you set sighs?
1. 3 consecutive sigh breaths will be given every 10 minutes at the set sigh volume.
14. Will the High Pressure Alarm end inspiration?
15. Is there an audible alarm when the High Pressure Alarm is reached?
1. Yes, continuous long pulses along with a red indicator light.
16. Does the Pressure Limit control end inspiration?
1. Just limits peak pressure without an alarm.
17. When will the Low Battery Alarm activate?
1. When the internal battery has dropped to around 10 volts.
18. How long approximately will the internal battery last?
1. 20 - 60 minutes depending on the ventilator settings.
19. What is the Flow Adjust Lamp?
1. Red light indicates an inverse I:E ratio or rate error.